Friday, April 16, 2010

My ideas come from sesame seeds


So the writing of my new YA novel is suspended because I have to rework my Middle Grade novel extensively. I had identified places for six different threads that need to be re-written. First thread provided not much trouble, but the second one is giving me lots of trouble, especially at the Big Ending Scene. Stuck like Kuala Lumpur traffic on a Saturday afternoon during a monsoon storm.

Ever the conscientious writer, I plough on, although with lots of snack and beverage breaks. Yesterday as I was preparing a snack, the act of shaking the sesame seed bottle suddenly brought to mind a scene, complete with back story and emotion. Smell, heat, taste, everything.

I sat down and wrote the sesame seed scene, followed by nine more.

Next time when somebody asks where my ideas come from, I'll have a ready-made, concrete, and completely truthful answer. What about you? Cat's whiskers? Awnings? re-usable bags?

12 comments:

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

It is an answer made of unique. ;)
I'm happy to hear the seeds have sprouted.

Anna Staniszewski said...

A lot of my ideas come in the shower. I might have to start eating more sesame seeds - it'll help conserve water. :-)

Jackee said...

Naw, food and rest are some of the most fundamental places to get inspiration--I believe (jokingly) that it's where our primal needs meet our instinctual need for creativity. :o)

Molly Hall said...

I'm like you, I find ideas in the strangest moments! However, just the other night, I got a great idea from my daughter. She was asking about my book and I told her I was going to add a scene where the MC's best friend gets captured. And she said, "What if her sister got captured?" And I was like, uh... Hello? Higher stakes? A more vulnerable character? I'm doing it!
(And I've decided my child is a genius...) ; )
Congrats on the breakthrough (and the NINE scenes that followed! Woo hoo!)

tanita✿davis said...

BLISS. Love it when things come together so well. Good for you, Y2.

Nandini said...

So much of writing is slogging along inspiration or not, so when a moment like that happens it's extra special. Wish you lots more sesame seed moments!!

Yat-Yee said...

Tricia: seeds sprouting! :)

Anna: I get ideas in the shower as well, but usually just in bits and pieces, and then I have to be careful to finish before the water turns cold.

Jackee: You're probably right!

Molly: Actually these scenes aren't a breakthrough for my stuck revision. They are very short vignettes that are totally unrelated to any of my current works. :)

Tanita: It is bliss to feel all those words flow.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I get inspiration from the strangest things. Sometimes it's just building up, and it just needs something to open the door. Unfortunately, this never happens when I want it to!

Yat-Yee said...

Nandini: Slogging is interesting, isn't it? It's what we do, like you said, with or without inspiration, yet it is often the very path inspiration takes to reach us. Thanks, and same to you!

Michelle: These inspirational moments, why do they have to have minds of their own?

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, good for you Yat-Yee. My ideas mostly come when I am talking things through with someone. That's why i love writing with a partner.

I love Molly's comment! Isn't it awesome to have kids like that!

Yat-Yee said...

Corey: Brainstorming can do wonders. The trick is to find someone who clicks. And yes, I agree, Molly's child is a genius, and Corey, you have a couple of those at your house! :)

lisa and laura said...

Anna, I agree--tons of ideas come to me when I'm showering or working out at the gym. Strange.