Friday, April 22, 2011

Getting to know my readers


To celebrate having 100 avatars adorn the right side of my blog, I decided to interview some of them. Today, we're beginning with the person who bumped my number to three digits, Scott F. Bailey.

Here's his blurb:
Scott Bailey is a writer, musician and art-school dropout. He studied literature and political science at university and his short stories and essays have been published here and there. He's older than he looks, which bothers him a lot. Scott also blogs here and he is awfully fond of jam.
Scott is represented by Weronika Janczuk of D4EO Literary

I "met" Scott at The Literary Lab, one of my favorite blogs. There have been quite a few instances when his observations and insights have made me think and re-think my understanding and beliefs. And the guy is witty. I have not met him in person, but I'll bet he's one who deadpans his punchlines in perfect timing and while everyone around him roars with laughter, he is calmly sipping his beverage of choice.

Here are some questions he answered.

1. Name the last three books you read.


"The Stranger" by Albert Camus
"Possession" by Antonia Byatt
"Malone Dies" by Samuel Beckett

2. Name one of your favorite authors. The first name that pops into your
mind. Explain. Or not.

Ernest Hemingway. I love his use of language, and the line, "It's a nice
bar; they've got a lot of bottles."
William Shakespeare. Nobody's better than Shakespeare. He gave us so much.

3. On a typical weekday, what are you doing at 9 a.m. and 9 p.m?

9 a.m. I'm usually working. 9 p.m. I'm usually reading.

4. Have you ever had breakfast for dinner? Dessert before main course?

I love breakfast food for dinner. Hash browns and eggs Benedict and sausage
et cetera! Dessert comes last.

5. Why not?

Dessert last because it's usually rich and I like to have coffee with it,
but I don't usually have coffee with the entrée.

6. How do you want your work to be characterized? First three words that pop
into your mind.

Brilliant. Moving. Funny.

7.What have you written today? (Email/memo/comments on fb/recommendation
letter/grocery list)

This email. Nothing else.

8. Name a favorite food/dish that is colorful (Tandoori chicken, orange bell
pepper, green eggs and ham.)

Malai kofta.

9. Name a vocation, time, and place you'd love to be. (A general in Kublai
Khan's army; a writer in 1920s Paris; camel trainer when the silk road was at its peak; a journalist when the Berlin Wall came down.)

I like it here, but I wouldn't mind being a violinist in a professional
string quartet in, say, New York just after Prohibition ended.

Thanks, Scott.

Go visit him at The Lit Lab or at Six Words For A Hat.

7 comments:

scott g.f.bailey said...

Brilliant. Moving. Funny.

Yep.

Bish Denham said...

Nice! Congratulations of reaching such a "magic" number!

Yat-Yee said...

Thanks, Bish. Will you answer these interview questions next? :)

Davin Malasarn said...

Hey, this was cool! Yat-Yee, I like that you didn't give Scott time to think about some of his answers. It's a lot more fun that way. :)

Brilliant.
Moving.
Funny.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Yay for Scott! Yay for brilliant and moving and funny!

These questions are awesome and now I want eggs Benedict. I've never had it. :(

Yat-Yee said...

Brilliant and moving and funny. He's stuck with these descriptions now!

Alex MacKenzie said...

Breakfast for dinner is indeed a fine thing. Well spoken.

-Alex