Friday, June 10, 2011

Does choreographing a sword form count?


The Rejectionist has invited her readers to participate in her 30 Days of Creativity adventure. Drawing, hanging curtains, organizing cabinets: anything that takes creativity and makes the doer happy. Some of my things include keeping peace between my children and teaching them to knit.

This is Week 2 and I am bringing in another part of my life, as a martial art practitioner, a part if my life that I allude to every now and then, to my writing sphere.

I am choreographing a broad sword form. It's set to the opening of Jupiter, from The Planes by
Gustav Holst. I am not ready yet to post a video of it, or maybe I'm really kinda embarrassed, but I hope I'll be brave enough to do that when it's polished.

What creative thing are you doing that is making you happy?

6 comments:

Davin Malasarn said...

I like the idea of you "creatively" keeping the peace between your children!

And, you have to post the video. You just have to. Jupiter is a great piece and seeing you swording to it would be cool!

Yat-Yee said...

Nothing demands more creativity and persistence than parenting for me!

I hope I'll do a decent job so that I won't feel too too embarrassed.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

*gasp* I would love you to make that video and share it. How cool is that?
My creativity is on hold, except for spurts of writing pages of my not-yet-complete fairy tale, while I wrestle with downsizing and moving. The physical task is daunting.

Davin Malasarn said...

Tricia, I didn't know you were downsizing and moving. That sounds hard, but I hope you get some refreshment out of the new stage in your life. Do you have help?

Anne Gallagher said...

I recently bought some beautiful very large valances for a picture window at the thrift store and cut and hemmed them to fit my windows upstairs. I'm also trying to clean my house so I can rearrange the furniture.

Creative endeavors of the non-writing kind usually allow my brain to free-wheel through the process and bring me ideas where I normally wouldn't venture.

I'd love to see you wielding a sword.

Yat-Yee said...

Tricia: I think times of change and times of chaos require creativity just to keep going. Wishing you lots of it during this time.

Anne: I really like how you describe the process, about free-wheeling and getting new ideas. I am a little stuck in my choreography project right now. Maybe I'll need to engage in some other form of creative thinking.

Or maybe I am just a big chicken worried about the form totally bombing...