Sunday, August 21, 2011

It's Bound to Happen

This Friday, my writing is slotted to be discussed by my critique group. Creative Weapons is on the schedule at my regional Tae Kwon Do tournament. I am performing a solo piano recital. I don't know if the planets are aligned but my activities sure are.

Their times are scattered throughout the day so I toyed with the idea of doing all three. But who was I kidding? I don't change gear that fast and will end up botching everything.

So I switched with a critique group member and submitted last Friday. I will give up Creative Weapons and compete in Traditional Forms, Traditional Weapons, and Sparring on Saturday.On Friday, I will put on my musician hat and concentrate on my performance.

I wasn't going to spin this post into a writing-related one, but an idea just popped into my head. it may be telling, or at least fun, to pile on the responsibilities and events and trouble on your characters, to see what they are made of.

If I were a character in
my story, I could potentially:
  • with great joy, participate in all the events,
  • shrink away and refuse to do anything
  • make a decision but second -guess myself constantly.
With each of these decisions could be different outcomes:
  • fail
  • scrape by
  • succeed spectacularly

[I found this picture at Ghost 19's blog]



We can have fun with how I deal with the outcome as well:
  • become prideful
  • lose all ability to take risks
  • rise up to the challenge, and whether I fail or succeed, grow from a timid, overly-cautious person to a confident risk-taker


Another idea just popped into my head. How about this:
You write a scenario for me and I'll choose one that makes me spew coffee, weep, or call you to ask for an appointment for a therapy session.

Cool Prize! Don't know what yet. But Cool, definitely Cool!

Spread the word.

To those of my friends who come over from facebook, who don't post in the comments: you don't need a Blogger account to do so. Would love to hear from you as well!


No comments: