Monday, September 30, 2013

Perspective

My young adult novel came to a halt in late spring. I was stuck. 

I had actually finished an earlier version of the novel. I knew, while writing that first version, that I needed to make some big changes to the story in the next round. 

The revision began strongly. I felt I was accomplishing some of the changes. 

But something happened at around chapter 10. The changes opened up different venues and I was paralyzed by the decision. Which of these new ways should I pursue? None of them seemed to bring a clear idea of how the story would end up. Staying with the plot I had used in the first version seemed cowardly. 

S-c-r-e-e-e-e-e-e-c-h!

That's right. A screeching halt.

In the mean time, I read a ton, practiced martial arts, cooked unusual meals, and got my middle grade novel ready for a contest.

No excuses left, I decided to take a look at my YA again. Or maybe my fog-riddle brain, thanks to a cold, is making me optimistic. Or something. 

Good news and bad news.

Bad news: I still don't know how to proceed. 

Good news: There is some good writing in there. (Now I wait for the reprimand. But that's another post.)

With the perspective gained from being away from the story, I realize that despite how difficult it felt while going through the revision, I kept close to my original vision and stayed true to its emotional truth.

As I mentioned, I still have no clue where the story is going, but just knowing that what I have is a keeper is enough for now. 


2 comments:

Anna-Maria Crum said...

You might try brainstorming with a writing friend(s). Tell them what you have, the possibilities you're considering, and then see where the conversation takes you. Sometimes it takes another person's input to see the way through the forest.

Yat-Yee said...

My writing friends have indeed given me some ideas and now it's up to me to decide what to do.