Tuesday, December 16, 2008

On a more upbeat note


To counter the negative vibes of my last post, I'd like to get back to the conclusion I had arrived at before getting sidetracked, and that is:

despite all the bad news and the mounting difficulties in getting published, as a writer, I will continue to write. And improve and learn and grow and live.

One of the things that helps me hone my writing is to read a lot; to compare and figure out what works and what doesn't. There is subjectivity involved, obviously, but great writing, in the end, will stand out.

The super-generous agent, Nathan Bransford, ran a contest recently, in which he invites writers to submit their first paragraphs. From the 1000+ entries, he selected 6 finalists and readers voted their favorites.

These posts offer an immense resource. First, we get to read the first paragraphs of so many writers. Second, we get to hear different people's opinions (ignore the snarks) of the chosen paragraphs. Third, we get to see the ones who stand out and why.

I haven't yet read through all the entries. But having read just the ones I have, I can understand a little better what agents and editors
mean when they discuss the queries and submission they receive.

So there you go, a bit of a silver lining.

2 comments:

Nandini said...

Welcome home, Yat-Yee!
The last month has been bad for publishing, so thanks for pointing out the silver lining ...
and I thought the ninja story rocked (in the first para contest)!!

Yat-Yee said...

Hi Nandini,
Thanks! Hope you enjoyed reading the entries.

How's your website coming along?