Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Book Diva


Have you seen the issue of Oprah's O magazine with her wearing glasses on the cover? (Wait, I thought they remove glasses from people who need to look good, say, on a magazine cover or when they need to transform from the nerdy kid nobody notices to the major babe/hunk?)

Anyway, Oprah is promoting books in this issue, a summer reading list. One author is described as having "the perceptions of a young Alice McDermott", one of my favorite authors; a book compared to Alice Sebold's Lovely Bones; and one hailed as "Classic in the Making."

I haven't read any of these books, but I am definitely intrigued. Besides the two books compared to my favorite authors named Alice, I think I may pick up Barbara Ehrenreich's This Land is Their Land and Meredith Norton's memoir on her breast cancer. The line quoted in the article here in O is the one that hooked me:

"There we were...with the same annoying habits and bad manners, ungrateful, pessimistic, undisciplined, and bored. We were as mediocre as when this whole drama began."

Talk about ringing true.

If you've read any of the books mentioned, let me know what you think.


No comments: