Friday, June 20, 2008

I love my library

I just did grocery shopping (how much?!!) and pumped gas (how MUCH?!!) and was in a particularly grumpy mood. And then I went to my local library and my mood just did a magnificent turnaround. I love my library!

What I brought home this time:
  • Zen and the Art of Faking it by Jordan Sonnenblick. I loved his first book, Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pies. The protag and his little brother are such wonderful characters. Despite being a kid-having-cancer book, I never once felt manipulated emotionally. Plus it's so, so very funny. Funny cancer book? Yep, he pulls it off. I sent the author an email telling him how much I enjoyed his book (I've never done that before) and he replied! Great writer and nice guy.
  • Sneaking Suspicions by by Carolyn Coman. I was hooked by its hook--two kids and parents who've just gotten out of jail (!) on a road trip. But now that I've started reading it, I love the writing as well. Funny but not in a contrived, too-clever way.
  • Forever Rose by Hilary McKay. The quirky, loving, and fiercely loyal Casson family has crawled their way into aspecial place in my heart, squeezing in with the Penderwicks. I had thought the Permanent Rose was the last book in the series, but I was happily surprised to find one more.
  • Lon Po Po by Ed Young. The Chinese version of the Red Riding Hood story. I am slightly upset that the Anglicization of the "Lon" isn't accurate, but the illustrations are gorgeous.
  • Hondo and Fabian by Peter McCarty. The story is simple. I'd venture to say this is a story without conflict (gasp!) but who cares when the illustration brings these two critters to life in such an innocent and lively way.
  • The Beginning, The Muddle and The End by Avi. I had meant to read this to my children but it turns out most of the jokes are over their heads. Writers though, will enjoy the humor.
  • The Mailbox by Audrey Shafer. A beautiful and sensitive book. A literary novel, in the best sense of the word, for the younger reader.
  • Runaway by Alice Munro. I can't just read juvenile books! Every once in a while, I want to read something that makes my heart ache and I often go to my favorite Alices: Munro and McDermott.

No comments: