Friday, September 19, 2008

Poetry Friday



I missed last week's Poetry Friday Roundup but I'm back with a poem that combines my three passions: music, words, and education.

Undivided attention

By Taylor Mali

A grand piano wrapped in quilted pads by movers,
tied up with canvas straps - like classical music's
birthday gift to the insane -
is gently nudged without its legs
out an eighth-floor window on 62nd street.

The rest of the poem is here.
And here is Taylor Mali's website.

Head on over to Author Amok for the Roundup.

7 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

I really love that poem -- especially because I taught school for a few years.

Yat-Yee said...

tadmack: glad you enjoyed it. The years I taught were some of the richest.

jama said...

This is one of my favorite poems about teaching. You've reminded me I need to play my piano once in awhile :)!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful memory to play my piano.

Yat-Yee said...

jama, debateur, I'm glad the poem led you back to your pianos!

Karen Edmisten said...

I *love* this poem. Just discovered Taylor Mali awhile back. My husband is a teacher, and so am I (a homeschooling one) and I feel so blessed to live a life that allows us to rush to the window whenever we feel like it. :-)

Anonymous said...

Yat-Yee! This is Mark Timmerman and I hope you remember the great piano lessons we had when I was little back in West Lafayette! You were a great influence on my musical career. I decided to google search you today and was pleased and surprised to find you a writer now-a-days. I am actually now a violinist and am about to get ready for the college/conservatory search! My family says hi and we hope to see you sometime! Come visit!