Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I think I'll call it a perk


Two supremely embarrassing thing happened to me today. Until now, the most embarrassing moment in my life took place when I was 12.

I was in 6th grade. My uniform felt tight, but since I had only a few more months to go before moving from primary to secondary school, where the uniform would change, my mother and I thought it made no sense to buy a new set just for those last few months.

Well.

One day, the seams on the left side of my pinafore ripped. Just like that. In front of the whole class. I had to walk around all day holding my arm tight to my side and ignoring all the comments and jokes that followed me.

One of today's event is worse than even that. And maybe I'll be able to talk about it 30 years from now. In the meantime, I think I'll include it in one of my stories.

(80% of embarrassing things that happen to my characters actually happened to me. I'll let my readers figure out which ones are made up.)

(Photo by jimmywayne22 from Creative Commons.)


5 comments:

Cheryl Reif said...

Ah, the joys of being a writer. The best stories usually have their root in something that actually happened...

But now I'm dying to know what happened! I hope you've recovered!

:) Cheryl

PS--I can comment again!

Yat-Yee said...

So true. No, it's nothing harmful, just very silly and embarrassing!

And yay: comment feature works again!

Nandini said...

Yat-Yee, Ha! Yes, I have a few of those tucked away too ... don't we all?? It's all grist for the mill! I recommend chocolate, or better still, candied ginger! Helps put everything into perspective!

Anonymous said...

I was reading David Copperfield to a child yesterday and realised what a powerful thing he did with his unpleasant life experiences - touch countless others by sharing them in a classic novel. So, hurry up, when is your novel being published?? (No pressure, of course...)

Yat-Yee said...

Nandini: How about candied ginger dipped in chocolate? Hmmmm.

Celine: I never expected be mentioned together with David Copperfield! Don't think my embarrassment is going to touch lives; bring a few chuckles, maybe.

I am hurrying, I am hurrying, really! But so much is out of my control.