Monday, March 9, 2009

Book Recommendation


Learning the craft of writing has its downside: it is difficult to disengage my writer-brain when I read, especially kid lit. The characters are memorable; the setting is evocative; the language is lyrical: these are the thoughts that typically occupy my mind. Or the POV shifts are abrupt; I don't buy that change of heart; I can't believe there are so many stock characters in one book.

So it's with great pleasure when I found myself not thinking any of those thoughts recently, while reading Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and The Olympians, The Lightning Thief

Instead of marveling at the author's skill and talents, I just devoured the book. The thought that I had? Not what a great cast of characters or authentic dialogue or the back story is seamlessly woven into the plot. All I could think of, after finishing the book, was that why wasn't this book around when I was younger? THIS is the book I'd always wanted to read.

If ever there was even one reader who thinks that of my book (if and when it's published) I'd be on cloud nine and a half.

4 comments:

Nandini said...

I love that feeling! The Hunger Games had me caught up like that. This book sounds wonderful. My son's addicted to the 39 Clues series (the first one was by Rick Riordan, right?) I must get it for him ...

Yat-Yee said...

I really like the Hunger Games too. Yes, the first 39 clues is by Rick Riordan. Percy Jackson is a little longer and reads a little bit older but I think your son is going to love it.

Mary Witzl said...

Your first paragraph had me nodding and saying "Mm-hmm." This is exactly how I feel when I'm reading now. I may not have it right myself yet, but I can definitely find myself distracted over some other author's inconsistencies, so much so that an all too convenient change of heart or out-of-character action can ruin my appreciation of a story. I'm far harder to please now that I've been trying my hand at writing.

But how wonderful to find a book that you thoroughly love -- one you wish you'd had yourself, as a child. And yes: what a wonderful thing it would be to have your own writing so thoroughly appreciated.

Yat-Yee said...

Mary: the perils of learning how to write. Thank goodness there are good books out there that can take us out of that mindset!

Wonder how filmmakers can watch other people's movies...