Friday, March 13, 2009

Poetry Friday


For Poetry Friday today, I was going to link to a short poem by Harold Shapiro over at the Writers Almanac. But when I read today's selection, I decided it has to be the one for today. Maybe it's because I've experienced the event described here many times or because my fellow writer, Cheryl, wrote about her experience in this arena recently.

The Meaning of Life
by Nancy Fitzgerald


Here is an excerpt:

You must be quick, decisive,
controlled, and if you miss
...
you must forgive
her quickly and give yourself
to scrubbing up the mess.

Excellent way to meet life head on!

The Miss Rumphius Effect is hosting the Roundup this week.

8 comments:

Nandini said...

Truer words were never said :) I've had hairballs plus a milk spill this morning. I wasn't quick enough, though I can be ... sometimes. Such is life.

Julie said...

Ah, the dog days! And the spitting up and diaper days (years) with new babies! Loving them (dogs AND babies) and cleaning up their messes, it does teach you a thing or two about life, doesn't it?

Yat Yee, over at the Drift Record you asked for a random letter to play around with. Your letter is G.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Ah yes. It's the same with cats. These days I can't move quick enough nor bend to scrub very well. Learning new lessons about that.

jama said...

Hmmm. Now that's a thought provoker, for sure.

susan said...

Hairballs in our house. How I'd like someone else to clean up my mess.

Yat-Yee said...

cats, dogs and babies: how we still love them despite their messes.

My favorite line is that we need to forgive and move on.

Thanks for dropping by, everyone.

Mary Lee said...

I sent this one to my husband for his own personal Poem of the Day -- heaven knows we have had more than our share of experience with that sound and the rush to the back door and the inevitable clean up.

He wrote back to say, "Dog owners have always known that life doesn't suck, it blows chunks!"

Yat-Yee said...

That is TOO funny!