Friday, October 3, 2008

Poetry Friday


For today's Poetry Friday, I offer a poem by David Ignatow. He writes about everyday things in a direct manner, which I really appreciate. This is for all you book lovers and writers all there.

Against the evidence
by David Ignatow

The following passage comes in the middle:

All my life
I've held books in my hands
like children, carefully turning
their pages and straightening out
their creases. I use books
almost apologetically. I believe
I often think their thoughts for them.
Reading, I never know where theirs leave off
and mine begin.

Read the poem here.

Then head on over to Two Writing Teachers for the Roundup.

2 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Great selection! I love this ending:
"I stroke my desk,
its wood so smooth, so patient and still.
I set a typewriter on its surface
and begin to type
to tell myself my troubles.
Against the evidence, I live by choice."

Thanks for sharing today.

Yat-Yee said...

I love the ending too. So full of hope.