Friday, October 31, 2008

Poetry Friday

A poem about courage seems appropriate this morning, as I get ready my manuscripts to head to the Big Sur writing workshop. I think I'll print it out and mull over it while I'm there.

I Would Like to Describe
by Zbigniew Herbert
Translated by Czeslaw Milosz and Peter Dale Scott


I would like to describe the simplest emotion
joy or sadness
but not as others do
reaching for shafts of rain or sun

Read the rest of the poem here.

Poetry for Children is hosting the Roundup today.

4 comments:

jama said...

This is one of my favorite poems ever. Hope you enjoy the workshop!

Yat-Yee said...

Thanks, jama!

Sylvia Vardell said...

Beautiful! And good luck with your workshop. Thanks for participating in Poetry Friday at PoetryforChildren this Halloween! Stop by any time...
Sylvia

Mary Lee said...

Good luck with your manuscripts!