Since my evil ploy to get book recommendations worked so well, I've been asking friends for more suggestions. I started with the question, "Which book must I read before I die?" and then tempered it to; "what is your favorite book?" to "Say, read any good books lately?"
Here are some suggestions I've received, in no particular order:
- Fyodor Dostoevsky: Brothers Karamazov
- Herman Melville: Moby Dick
- Arthur Phillips: Prague
- Alice Hoffman: Skylight Confessions
- Willa Cather: any work
- Wallace Stegner: Angle of Repose
- Alan Bennett: Uncommon Reader
- David Lodge: Changing Places
- Mary Ann Shafer: Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
- Hanif Kureishi: Buddha of Suburbia
- Elizabeth Gilbert: Pilgrims
Which ones have you read? Which ones do you love? What other books do you recommend?