Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Solipsism, times three


I came across the word solipsism for the first time last week, in Jerry Spinelli's newest book, Smiles to Go. (I love it when I learn new things from reading kidlit, don't you?) Found out that it is, according to wikipedia, an
epistemological or metaphysical position that knowledge of anything outside the mind is unjustified. Very cool.

That night at dinner, my husband wanted to tell me a joke, but first, he wanted to know if I've come across the notion of solipsism. I almost sprayed my mouthful of rice at him. That was weird, to have come across a word for the first time in my life and to have it be brought up on the very same day!

Okay, fine. Coincidences happen.

Later that night, my husband showed me a article he had been reading, and there it was, a company named Solypsis.

Cue Twilight Zone music.

No comments: