Monday, August 11, 2008

This is becoming a habit!

Since my first 5K run was such a positive experience, I did another one over the weekend. My children ran the 1K. Here we are at the finish line.

At the Pikes Peak Writers Conference, David Liss, one of the keynote speakers, said that even though the first novel seems really difficult, it's nothing compared to trying to start a second one. That's because we put everything into our first "baby", and then we have nothing else to say. Everyone chuckled, but I had secretly feared that very phenomenon. He went on to assure us that it can be done. Harper Lee, after all, is an exception, not the rule.

The first step is always the hardest, according to conventional wisdom. And I think it's probably true for most things, but sometimes the the second step could prove just as intimidating. Every step I conquer is one that will get me closer to finishing my other "races"!


No comments: