Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Big Sur in the Rockies: a second report


Learning from the experience and wisdom of the faculty was wonderful, but that's only half the reason why the Big Sur in the Rockies Workshop was so valuable. The other half was meeting like-minded writers.

The weekend was structured around critique groups. Each attendee was assigned two groups led by two different faculty members. Each group met twice. Attendees chose what they submitted at each group meeting.

The talent and passion of these writers are amazing. From inventive premises to tender treatments of difficult subjects such as death and divorce to a touching corridos (Mexican and Southwestern US traditional ballad) to hilarious yet heart-warming poetry, I was treated to some excellent writing. And let me tell ya, you haven't lived till you hear an ancient Japanese / Jewish / African folk tale re-told in authentic cowboy.

Reading and critiquing the work, and listening to the critiques, of so many thoughtful writers taught me volumes.

And then there are my two cottage mates. Not only are they brilliant writers with a great sense of humor (and sass), they are also the most considerate, respectful sharers-of-space one could ever ask for. I am forever spoilt.

4 comments:

debra shirley said...

Yat-Yee,
I was pleased to happen upon your blog. I totally agree with your Big Sur in the Rockies recap. Nicely put. I enjoyed meeting you in critique group. Your wonderful stories are are still living in me - can't wait to see them on a bookshelf soon!

Yat-Yee said...

HI Debra. Thanks for dropping by! I enjoyed meeting you as well. I'm so glad you like my stories. And please keep in touch!

Cheryl Reif said...

Hi Yat Yee: thanks for the workshop recap. I think I had the best roommates tho :). ~Cheryl

PS--Congrats on appearing on Shrinking Violets!

Yat-Yee said...

Cheryl: the Shrinking Violets thing was such a fluke! The book arrived yesterday but I have three books I'm reading now! Such delicious problems...