Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Move over AIG and BIg Three Auto


Save the publishing industry!

The current economic crisis is hurting industries across the board. The one that concerns this blog has just experienced a particularly bad October. Moonrat explains it much better at her blog. It has to do with bookstores returning so much inventory to the publishers that an entire year's profit has been wiped out at some smaller houses.

As a book lover and hopeful future author, I ask that you consider buying books as gifts this season. And since I'm nothing but helpful, here is a list of suggestions, totally subjective with no discernible common factor except that I think they're well-written, entertaining, and just plain good.

Multicultural books
chapter books and early middle grade


young adult

Books that may appeal to boys
chapter books and middle grade


Books about strong sibling relationships
middle grade


Poetry books for children


Books for doglovers (who also love lyrical writing)

5 comments:

Cheryl Reif said...

Thank you for the great (shopping) list! My friends and family have long since resigned themselves to getting books from me...I figure it helps them take this writing stuff more seriously :). ~C

Yat-Yee said...

After posting this list, I thought of many more books, I'll probably post them later today.

Anything to get people to take our writing thing seriously! (How nice, you have your little hobby!)

Anonymous said...

Yes! yes! Everybody loves books! Gift cards to independent book stores are my fave!

Yat-Yee said...

Debra: I posted a new list today before I had a time to check out your website! Otherwise I would definitely have included your book. You should go plug it in the comment section!

Christina said...

Hi Yat-Yee,

I'm enjoying reading your blog this Poetry Friday! Love the list. One I would add that boys (and girls) would love is Chasing Vermeer. Pair the book with a set of pentominoes (and maybe the two books following--The Wright 3 and The Calder Game) and you have a gift that is both entertaining and educational.

See you 'round the blogosphere!