Monday, January 18, 2010

Grab-A-Line Monday


I found out about a new blog this past week, The Daily Kidlit Quote. Go check them out. (incidentally, one of the first quotes I read from the blog from the same work that Nandini shared over here, Haroun and Sea Stories.)

Here is something from Susan Beth Pfeffer's Life As We Knew It brought over by Tricia:
...something was yellow. I remembered yellow as the color of the sun. I'd seen the sun last July. It hurt to look straight at it, and it hurt to look at this new burst of yellow. It wasn't the sun. I laughed at myself for thinking it might be. It was a sheet of paper dancing in the crosswinds down the street. But it was yellow. I had to have it.

Nandini brought Wanting Mor by Rukhsana Khan ...
The problem with hard shiny floors that are not made of mud is that dust from the streets,from all the dung of donkeys and horses and animals in the alleyways--the same dust that clogs the air--ends up settling on those nice shiny floors, and they need to be swept and mopped every single day.

a. fortis came over this a quote from Shine, Coconut Moon by Neesha Meminger:
Molly's way more into my "Eastern" heritage than I am. It's not as if I'm not into it...it's just that it was never really into me.

The gesture described here in Let The Great World Spin by Colum McCann took my breath away momentarily:
She opened a limp, resigned palm, and stared at it as if to say that she had disappeared from herself and all she had left was this starnge hand she was holding out in the air.
It reminded me of another hand gesture from another person who's lost and hurting from Broken For You by Stephanie Kallos:
"I came to him like a pilgrim," the young woman siad, and held out her hands, palms up, like she was waiting to be given something: a stack of books, a platter of sweet potatoes, an armful of clean, folded linens.
What caught you this week?

2 comments:

Nandini said...

Just found out that Tanita Davis won a Coretta Scott King honor for Mere's War!!! It was at the top of my TBR pile so I started reading immediately. Still in the first half but loving the voice, the format, and the story!! Here's my line from Mere's War ...

Now, this is a women's army, she tells Miss Ida. She's gonna be working with women to free up a man for the fight. It's her duty, she says. Well, sir, Miss Ida sure pitched a fit, said no daughter of hers was going to join no women's army like she ain't got no breeding.

Yat-Yee said...

Nandini: I found out today too. It is so exciting!