Monday, January 25, 2010

Grab-A-Line Monday


IN last week's GALM, Nandini shared a line from Mare's War, written by my writing group's facilitator, Tanita Davis. Mare's War had just been announced as a Coretta King Honor book, in addition to the other accolades. Here is the line Nandini chose:

Now, this is a women's army, she tells Miss Ida. She's gonna be working with women to free up a man for the fight. It's her duty, she says. Well, sir, Miss Ida sure pitched a fit, said no daughter of hers was going to join no women's army like she ain't got no breeding

My line this week is thanks to Nandini as well, who brought a wonderful line from Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett a few weeks back, which of course means I would read it. I started a few days ago and am enjoying it tremendously so far. Here is an example of the low-key wit of the book:

...Tiffany retorted, feling annoyed. "Witches have animals they can talk to, called familiars. Like your toad here."

"I'm not familiar," said a voice from among the paper flowers, "I'm just slightly presumptuous."

What caught you this week?

3 comments:

Nandini said...

OMG I completely blanked on GALM!! Will be back later tonight with a line. But Yat-Yee I didn't post the line from Wee Free Men. Can't remember who did, but it wasn't me.

Nandini said...

This from WHERE THE MOUNTAIN MEETS THE MOON, by Grace Lin.

As he glanced upward, he realized the courtyard was like a well for the sky--the stars and night seemed to flow into it endlessly.

I like this line because it makes you see the courtyard differently. Isn't that what writing is about?

Yat-Yee said...

Nandini: thanks so much for supporting my little venture here week after week.

And yes, helping us see things differently is most definitely one of the benefits of writing.