Monday, March 15, 2010

Grab-A-Line Monday


Welcome to another installment of Grab-A-Line Monday, where readers share a line or two from what they read. We've had short lines, we've had long passages, we've had serious thoughts as well as light-hearted moments. Most important, some of the lines quoted here have led some of us to read the books from which those lines are taken.
Last week, Tricia shared this quote from GOING BOVINE, by Libba Bray. a book I've placed on hold and am still the 9th person in line:

"We believe our universe may be a small part of something vast--we're one house in a cosmic subdivision of houses all right next to each other. If only we could just pop in to see the neighbors, easy as opening the front door."


MG Higgins shared from INKSPELL by Cornelia Funke:

But as soon as she tried to make something new of them, a story with a life of its own, her mind went blank. The words seemed to fly out of her head --like snowflakes leaving only a damp patch on your skin when you put out your hand to catch them.


What caught you this week? And don't forget, you can always pop back throughout the week and post in the comments.


6 comments:

Yat-Yee said...

Not sure why Blogger insisted on formatting my first paragraph as if I'd put in on a bullet list. Tried to change it several times, to no avail.

Bish Denham said...

This sentence from The Lightning Theif by Rick Riordan easily describes a person.

"Fianlly, she married Gade Ugliano, who was nice the first thirty seconds we knew him, then showed his true colors as a world-class jerk."

Christina said...

It seems like almost every book I've read is trying to tell me something lately, so I think it's very interesting you've started this trend, Yat-Yee. : )

Here are a few lines that struck me from Ruth Reichl's Not Becoming My Mother:

"I have never known so many unhappy people. They were smart, they were educated and they were bored. Some of them did charity work, but it wasn't fulfilling. Their misery was an ugly thing, and it was hard on their families. It was a terrible waste of talent and energy, and watching them I knew that I was never going to be like them."

Yat-Yee said...

Bish: I actually remember that line too!

Oh Fiddler: what is described here is so familiar to me that I am slightly afraid of how deeply I understand this.

Christina said...

Yeah--I've been struggling with that fine line between "Mom needs a life" and "Mom goes Berserker," so that's probably why it struck a chord (ha!) with me.

Your post right before this one tied right in, too.

Tahereh said...

oh what a cool idea! great blog! i've never seen this done before :)

best of luck with your writing endeavors!!!