Friday, March 26, 2010

Would you like Orlando Bloom or Ralph Fiennes as your inner editor?


It's Shelley's fault. When she posted about Harrison Ford being her inner editor, I realized I didn't need to be contented with mine--a disembodied monotone voice that never loses an argument and leaves no room for doubt in her highly critical opinions. I decided to re-imagine my inner editor.

[Warning: this frivolous post may nauseate the serious-minded among you,
but I promise it is still completely and utterly writing-related. Really.]

Who would I rather have as my inner editor?


Someon
e who can shoot arrows at my plot holes.


Someone who will cut down the clutter
that sprouts up like bamboo in my story
.









Someone who knows patience from having to chip away at a wall with a tiny tool, and who wouldn't mind diving into sewage if it means freedom on the other side.



Someone who knows resilience by having to rely only on his left foot to create.


Someone who knows that being vulnerable and being willing to share authentically, even if it means you open yourself to rejection and misunderstanding, is the way to touch your audience.


Someone who can give me the "Come on, you can do better than that" accusing look, in that irresistible smoldering manner that I cannot but jump back into working.



Someone who knows my every fear and will not buy any of my excuses; and who, although doesn't read fiction, approaches every lecture he gives, every technical or philosophical paper he writes, as telling a story.


[Do you know every single person here? Can you name one thing about each of them? ]


20 comments:

MeganRebekah said...

OMG I love elfin Orlando Bloom. I remember walking out of the theatre, on LOTR opening weekend, and my older sister and I looked at each other and said "Who was the elf?"

I think he'd make a fine inner editor.

Yat-Yee said...

Fellow elfin Orlando Bloom fan!

Yat-Yee said...

And oh, Megan, the real question is whether he's afraid of pitbulls! That way he can your inner editor AND dog waling companion.

Laurel Garver said...

I think I'd like the patient digger. I revise slowly, often going over pages multiple times. Someone violent or sardonic would get fed up pretty quick. :-)

Yat-Yee said...

Patience is definitely a requirement!

C. K. Kelly Martin said...

I don't think I'd be able to get back to work with Ralph Fiennes doing all that smoldering! In my head even his accusatory voice sounds sexy.

Yat-Yee said...

He does have a distinctive voice, doesn't he? All these stage-trained actors, they know how to use their voices.

Julie Dao said...

I used to be OBSESSED with Legolas. One day in college, I returned to my dorm room to find a giant six-foot cardboard Legolas waiting for me by my bed that my two best friends had bought for my bday. Freaked me out at first but I loved it!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I just liked looking at the pretty men. :)

Yat-Yee said...

I can hear them now, "Macho! Not pretty! Not cute! Macho! Didn't you see me run all night to save Frodo/battle Andy Lau to death in House of Flying Daggers/run uphill in my Mohican getup......Macho!"

Hehe.

Yat-Yee said...

Julie: it's interesting that everyone who's commented so far on Orlando Bloom has been about his role as Legolas and not as himself...

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Nope, they're pretty. VERY pretty. Mmmmm.... :)

and macho. :)

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

Thanks so much for the follow! Love having new blogger buddies! :)

storyqueen said...

Daniel.Day.Lewis.....sigh.

I'd almost trade Harrison for him...but not quite.

Shelley

Yat-Yee said...

Shelli: Thanks and welcome to my blog!

Shelley: I may not want to trade....

Molly Hall said...

This is so much fun! I love it! Andy Dufresne... that's a guy who knows patience, and how to get out of a REALLY tough situation. Though in Shawshank Redemption he was in prison for how many years? Not sure I can wait that long.
Orlando Bloom. My goodness, but he's beautiful. I'd be WAY too distracted if he were sitting next to me, editing my ms.
And I can't have Ralph Fiennes anywhere near me since seeing "The Duchess". Ugh. Good movie, if you don't mind having your guts wrenched out of you...
Back to the elf. Perhaps if I could CHANNEL that elfin energy and focus when I revise, that would help. I adored the elves as a people, they were so powerful and elegant and noble.

Fun!

Yat-Yee said...

Molly: I had fun doing this post. I haven't watched The Duchess but I can imagine how well he'd play his role. I think he's a fabulous actor but his better roles are all as villains/semi villains. Wish I'd had the chance to watch him do Hamlet on stage.

Looks like elfin Orlando Bloom received the most comments!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I've left you an award on my blog. :)

Celine said...

I'm embarrassed, because I don't recognise him - is that wise and dignified-looking character next to you really my little brother??

Yat-Yee said...

Celine: handsome, you forgot handsome!