Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Toss and turn


The worst thing about my body thinking we're on the other side of the globe is waking up at dawn and staying awake for hours. I don't do 2 a .m.; or 3 or 4 for that matter. Yet it'll be a couple of weeks before I adjust.

Mining the experience for my writing seems like a logical choice, except that at the wee hours of the morning, my mind is in deep fog. I don't know when John Updike wrote his poem, Tossing and Turning: while still tossing and turning in his bed, or afterward. But it's a poem I relate to very well right now.

Tanita Davis chose this poem for last week's Poetry Friday. I am a little late to the party, but here is a snippet:

...
Yet we turn each time
with fresh hope, believing sleep
will visit us here...

can only end, around a corner
we do not know
we are turning.

Go read Tossing and Turning by John Updike in its entirety at Tanita's blog.

2 comments:

Nandini said...

Wow! Where have you been??

And believe me, I can relate. We go to Australia every other year to visit family. Opposite seasons as well as timezones.

Must read the last two months of your blog and catch up ... :-)

Yat-Yee said...

Malaysia.

We were in Australia for a month two years ago. Quite a trip but at least we got two summers that year: we were there in December.